Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

Honeycomb Gift Box Tower

Hi, It's Allie and I'm excited to share a fun gift box project today using the JGW Blooming Card Kit with SDS Basic Deep Lid Boxes, shown below.

SDS Basic Deep Lid Boxes
JGW Blooming Card Kit

I made three of the hexagon boxes, reducing each layer to 75% of the original size.  I chose the hexagon because it looked like honeycomb to me. I kept the bee the original size. This project takes 2 sheets of paper and some scraps. You'll need some patterned paper, and some solid cardstock. I used scraps for the bee wings and the black backer on the bee trail.

Here is what the files will look like when you are ready to cut. I've just colored to make the images easier to identify.







And here's my Honeycomb Gift Box Tower.


I decorated with some flowers that I spritzed with Gold Shimmer Spritz. I attached these with Hot Glue. Each flower is glued to the base of the box OR the lid, so each layer can still open.
The bee trail is glued to the lid of the second box.

Here is the view from the back. It's a little boring!



And here are the layers opened. I did glue each lid to the base below. I felt it made the tower more sturdy.


Fill with treats and enjoy. I think this would be a perfect little gift box for someone's birthday, or a great centerpiece for a table - you can make the boxes as large as you'd like, and stack as many as you want!

Here are some pictures of the work in progress. I double inked the patterned papers using Rich Cocoa Memento on the edges, and rubbing in some Peanut Brittle Memento on the box and the patterned papers as well, to tie the color scheme together.

You can see the difference using the two colors - the yellows weren't a great match, and the Rich Cocoa really helps the panels to pop.

I inked the edges of the bee's wings with Summer Sky Memento and added some glitter.


Thanks for joining me today.

SUPPLIES

Cardstock (Bazzill)
Patterned Paper (Echo Park)
Summer Sky, Peanut Brittle, Rich Cocoa Memento Inks (Imagine Crafts/Tsukineko)
Gold Shimmer Spritz (Imagine Crafts/Tsukineko)
Flowers (Wild Orchid Crafts, Prima)
Glitter (ART Glitter)
Adhesive (ART Glitter Designer Dries Clear Glue and AdTech Hot Glue)

Note: I cut my files using the Silhouette Cameo. I recommend a new or sharp blade on a slower setting, as there are some tight angles in the box portions. 










4 comments:

  1. You did such an amazing job on this project, Allie! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, this is fantastic! I love that your boxes imitate honeycomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it on Facebook today and just had to come on over and tell you how awesome and beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete